Friday, December 10, 2010
Sex and The City Discourse By: Faryn Wegler
The plethora of Sex and the City Fan sites on the web demonstrate what a massive phenomenon the series itself has become. The web sites (dedicated primarily to the female-centered audience) contain videos, links, quizzes, star news, episode guides, cast biographies. There are also polls with questions such as “What character are you most like?” and “Who would you rather have as your best friend?” The online stores have SATC merchandise such as books, DVDs, posters and even vibrators available for purchase.
Some popular SATC fan sites:
Awards & Reviews
- Over its course of six seasons, "Sex and the City" was nominated for over 50 Emmy Awards, winning seven times
- The show has been both praised and criticized by critics.
- Entertainment named the show #5 on its list of the best shows in the past 25 years, saying, "The clothes from SATC raise your cosmos! A toast to the wonderful wardrobe from Sex and the City, which taught us that no flower is too big, no skirt too short, and no shoe too expensive."
- Others have argued that the show represents a decline in moral values given that the sole purpose of the series is for the characters to boast about their sexual exploits with as many men as possible.
- After the release of the second film, the Washington Post stated that the “lightweight storyline, shameless materialism and unapologetic shallowness provided easy targets for sniffy critics.”